These days customers can be hard to come by. Depending on your market and industry keeping customers is tough.
Everywhere you look things are evolving. Uber and related services are completely shaking up the taxi game. Who would have ever seen that coming? Waiter and Uber Food are changing the food service industry. And of course there’s Amazon…
In our industry, Ups and Vista Print have begun touting themselves as a marketing company, every kid with a camera is a photographer or videographer, and there is a never ending supply of businesses who offer free websites.
I’m sure you can find similar things happening with your industry. So, what are we to do?
Here’s 3 basic steps you probably know and 2 bonus steps you probably don’t.
- Good product/service. You don’t have to be the best, necessarily. But, you do need to do your best. Be competent.
- Price appropriately. Most businesses over or under value their goods or services. A high price implies better quality goods or higher quality service. Nothing is worse than creating bad word of mouth on pricing.
- Be different. Figure out what sets you apart from your competition and make that a piece of your marketing. Lower prices, better service, friendly staff – these are all clichés. Dig a little deeper and figure out what is true for your business and promote it.
- (Bonus) Market digitally. Marketing your business effectively requires research, effort and insight. Before you invest anything in any marketing efforts do your homework. And when you make a plan, stick to it. Marketing is an investment in the future of your business. Whatever you do, make sure you are checking to see if it is effective – any insights you gain will help any future marketing efforts.
- (Bonus) Plan for success. Have an idea of where you want your business to be in 6 months, 1 year, 3 years, and 5 years. Plan your steps for success and then adjust as needed as you chart your progress. Success is something to be worked towards. When success happens to people overnight, people usually don’t know how to handle it. The very success they hoped for ends up being their downfall. The person that builds and works towards their success over time knows how to handle it because they know what it took to make it happen.
These are just free advice. If you would like specific help marketing your business, give us a call. We are always happy to help.